Trevor Linn – Turbulent Design
Turbulent Design started out in 2015 as a developer of small highly detailed digital environments for home users of Flight Simulator X and Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D.
Since then, with the help of Outset Finance, they’ve grown into a 3D simulation company specialising in Aviation and the marine markets.
Their customers range from Lockheed Martin Dovetail games, Gas and Oil company and many more.
Check out our interview with Trevor to find out more about his business journey and working with Outset Finance.
Business name: Turbulent Design
Founders’ name: Trevor Linn
Based in: Havant, Hampshire
1. Why did you decide to become your own boss?
I had a burning ambition to work for myself and was determined to see if I could make a difference.
2. What were the main challenges you faced in starting or growing your business?
The main challenge was finding the right customers but the governing problem from day one was cash flow. Raising finance as a start-up isn’t easy and accessing finance through the Bank isn’t an option unless you have a house and/or other security’s.
3. If you had not been able to access a Start Up Loan, what would have happened to your business idea?
My business idea would have been put onto a back burner or may have even come to a halt.
4. What would you have done if the Start Up Loans scheme was not available?
I would have struggled to complete a project therefore we would not have taken it on.
5. What support did you receive while applying for a Start Up Loan?
One to one meetings with a business advisor
6.Tell us about your experience working with Outset Finance – would you recommend us to other business owners?
I would strongly recommend working with Outset Finance to fellow SMEs looking to start a business.
7. Have you or your business benefitted from post-loan mentoring support? If so, tell us a bit about it.
Yes, we have attended marketing and budget meetings which have been very helpful.
8. What is your vision for your business in the future?
My vision is to grow the business to reach a turnover of £750,000 within the next 12 months.
9. And finally, what advice would you give to others who are thinking about starting a business?
I would strongly advise businesses to seek advice from the outset from Outset Finance for valuable support with finance and business planning.
To find out more about Turbulent Design visit their website.